It’s seasonal all year round and packed with lots of healthy goodness
Papaya (or pawpaw) is a great source of Vitamin C (which serves important functions such as boosting the immune system) and folate (Vitamin B9) which is important for cell growth and development, conversion of carbohydrates into energy, synthesis, repair, and methylation of DNA. Papaya also has minerals, potassium, copper, magnesium and fibre, making it a nutritional powerhouse. What’s better is that it’s available most times of the year!
How to Buy:
Choose a papaya that’s heavy for its size and one with no blemishes or not too soft (it should yield slightly to the touch).
How to Store:
If unripe, store it at room temperature. (A fully ripe one has an orange-yellow colour.) Once ripe, store it in the fridge in a plastic bag for not longer than a week.
Breakfast Papaya Parfait
- 1 Cup Natural Yoghurt
- 3 tbsp Honey
- 1/2 Papaya cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup Granola (or oats or cereal of your choice)
- 1 1/2 tspn Grated Lemon Zest
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- In a small bowl, combine the yoghurt, 2 tbsp honey and lemon zest.
- Set it aside.Add the remaining 1 tbsp honey and lemon juice in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the papaya and toss gently to coat the papaya.
- To create your parfait, spoon half the papaya mixture into a tall glass.
- Top with half the yoghurt mixture and half the granola.
- Repeat the process again by layering the remaining fruit, yoghurt, and granola.
- Once you are done.
- You will have 2 layers of each ingredient and a total of 6 layers.
- The papaya parfait is ready to eat or can be chilled in the fridge for later.