If you haven’t yet seen the results you were anticipating, we still have a few weeks to shock your system with some great new workouts for you to try out and kick up your fat burn. This calls for some ‘Power Moves’ that will create everything you want; shapely legs, strong core and a well-defined upper body. Let’s not forget your ‘Pre-workout Dynamic Stretches’ because cutting out stretching from your workout might be preventing your results! Stretching takes only a few minutes and it yields lasting results. Remember to plan your meals out as we head into the busy festive season.
Plate Up- Chop
Stretches Shoulders, Obliques, Legs
- Hold a weight plate just over your right foot at the squat position.
- Keeping your arms straight, raise the plate up and across your body, until it’s 45O above your left shoulder, pivoting on your right foot.
- Return the plate to just over your right foot, keeping your arms straight throughout.
- Perform two sets of 15 reps on each side.
Releases Lower Back, Stretches Hips
- Begin on all fours with your wrists directly under your shoulders and knees under your hips. Shift your weight on to your toes to stretch the arches of your feet. Inhale and slowly arch your back down, lifting your chin and bringing the chest up and away from the belly while extending your tailbone towards the ceiling.
- As you exhale, round your back while dropping your head toward the floor, gently contracting your abdominals.
- Repeat the stretch for 20 reps or 20 seconds, breathing deeply and evenly as you move through the pose.
Leg Raise/ Ab Crunch
- Lie on your mat with your legs stretched forward and arms stretched overhead. (For an extra burn, hold a medicine ball.)
- Simultaneously, lift arms, shoulders and legs off the floor, pressing your lower back into the floor. Keeping your upper body raised, bring the right knee towards your chest while reaching down with both hands.
- Switch legs, bending the left knee while straightening the right leg.
- Do 12 reps on each leg. Repeat the entire circuit.
Lunge to Tuck Jump
Stretches Thighs, Hips, Calves
- Stand with your feet together and arms at your sides. Lunge forward with your left leg, keeping your front knee from going past your toes until your left thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Hold at the bottom of the lunge for three seconds. Using your arms for momentum, explode out of the bottom of the lunge but don’t switch legs. Land softly with the left leg still forward.
- Do 12 reps per leg, then switch sides.
- Bow Stretch
- Stretches Chest, Abdominals, Hips, Groin, Quads, Ankles; Strengthens Back and Improves Spinal Flexibility.
- Lie face down on a mat with hands at your sides on the floor. Exhale deeply and bend your knees, bringing both heels towards your butt, grasping your ankles with both hands. Keep your knees as far apart as you need.
- Inhale, then draw your thighs off the floor while lifting your chest, pressing shoulder blades together and creating a C- Shape with your back. Hold 10-30 seconds.
- Do 2-3 sets of 5.
Stretches Abdominals, Thighs, Chest
- Lie down on a mat with your legs and elbows bent at 90O, with the head elevated. Sit up and draw your left elbow to your right knee in a running motion.
- Return to start and repeat the movement with your right elbow and left knee.
- Perform 2 sets of 15.